ever wonder, why are there so many plants that are poisonous
when eaten, and so few poisonous animals?
Aside from the skin of a few exceedingly rare rainforest
frogs and polar bear
liver, there are few animals one could eat that would result
in instant death. (There is also the well known fish, Fugu, which the
Japanese eat - which is also poisonous.)
To list all of the poisonous plants one could die from
eating, would take up volumes.
Cornell University Poisonous Plants Index
Socrates was killed by drinking the poisonous hemlock, the
official poison of the Greeks. Water hemlock is very common
and is easily confused for wild parsley. Except that a single
mouthful of water hemlock can kill.
Seeds such as rice, wheat, maize and beans, play an
important part in our lives today. All of them must be cooked
before we can eat them in any quantity. Seeds and berries are
a plant's reproductive system. Many are designed to attract
animals to eat them but there would be little point in this
if the seeds were digested. No, they are indigestible –
deliberately, designed to pass through the animal to be
defecated and take root elsewhere. Two means only are
available to make them digestible: cooking and grinding.
Soy is another poisonous plant commonly sold to those who
believe that it is a health food.
Vegetarian parents do damage to their children that will
take generations to repair - the effects and damage of a
vegetarian diet will be observed in the intellectual and
physical development in the grandchildren of the
Vegetarian parents who feed their children soy based products, further poison them.
Soy is packed with isoflavones among other invidious
chemicals. Isoflavones are like female hormones, so that
feeding an infant soy based infant formula is like giving
him/her five birth control pills per day! Young boys fed soy,
may never develop an interest in girls.
How vegans and vegetarians harm their